Thursday, May 15, 2014

1 Splendid Author

The process of my independent book selection was influenced by the books genre, subject matter, and by the author.  A Thousand Splendid Suns genre is historical fiction. This interested me because it takes a look at the past, but is fiction so the author can create the story making it more interesting and dramatic. Subject matter can attract or repel someone from a book. The subject matter of this book is two women who grew up in different generations in Afghanistan. Spanning 30 years the topics in this book change from fighting between parents and a child to the invasion of Afghanistan by the Soviets. Finally, I was interested in reading a book from the author, Khaled Hosseini. Hosseini also wrote The Kite Runner, a book that I enjoyed very much. His type of writing is very dramatic and makes the reader feel involved in the story.    
Khaled Hosseini was born in Kabul in 1965, then moved to Paris. After returning to Kabul in 1980, his parents decided that Afghanistan was too dangerous, and moved the family to the U.S. In the United States, Hosseini went to school and eventually earned his medical degree in 1993. In 2001 when practicing medicine Hosseini began to write his first book The Kite Runner. He published A Thousand Splendid Suns six years later in 2007.

1 comment:

  1. I also picked my book in a similar fashion. I chose my book, A Tale of Two Cities, in part because its genre and subject matter interested me, similar to your choice because it is set in a historical time period. I also had prior knowledge of the author of my book, and I wanted to read more of his work and writing style.

    ReplyDelete